I’ve been using the excellent terminal emulator Terminator for a long time. Terminator sports (among other things) split screen hand “cluster support” (grouping of screens, making it possible to type the same thing in all terminals).

Example

In previous versions of Ubuntu (Terminator versions prior to 0.14) Terminator would pick all settings from GNOME Terminal, including character encoding (ISO-8859-15 in my case). Apparently this is no longer the case in Ubuntu 10.04, which has Terminator 0.14.

To use another encoding than UTF-8, add the following to ~/.config/terminator/config:

encoding = ISO-8859-15

Substitute ISO-8859-15 with whatever encoding you want.

Some other nice configuration options

scrollback_lines = 10000 # Scroll back size
focus = sloppy # sloppy focus, ie. the focus follows the mouse when moving the pointer to another split-screen

for more options, run man terminator_config.

I’m not going to dwell on the subject – The Ubuntu Design team (and in the end Mark Shuttleworth) decided to change the titlebar button layout as part of the new Light GNOME theme (which is a really nice theme); for more information read this article

Being the good Ubuntu fanboy that I am, I have really tried to embrace this new layout – But every time I move the mouse pointer to the right side of the window only to find the close button missing, I grew increasingly frustrated.

Luckily the fix is easy.

From a terminal (or from the run prompt, ALT-F2), run

gconftool-2 --set /apps/metacity/general/button_layout --type string menu:minimize,maximize,close

I decided to upgrade my laptop to 10.04 beta 1.

When the update was done (something I had to do at home because the damn Update Manager does not work with proxies, at least not when running it manually) I was left without a working Xorg configuration, apparently because the fglrx (non-free) ATI driver did not support the x-server used in Lucid. According to the release notes, the fix is the use the open source driver (ati) instead.

After fiddling a bit, I discovered that removing xorg-driver-fglrx and installing the package fglrx did in fact work and I have accelerated OpenGL again.